CRSOA Members and Industry Partners are welcome to participate in Missions Day and COBALT!
Held at the USCG Sector Columbia River in Warrenton, USCG Missions Day will give CRSOA members and industry partners an opportunity to learn more about the USCG's role that is intertwined with the Columbia River's maritime community. We will also visit Cape Disappointment and Tongue Point.
Background on the Columbia Region's Maritime Industry Introduction Program:
This program has traditionally been a week-long structured series of presentations, tours, and discussion sessions offered to every newly arriving U.S. Coast Guard Captain of the Port/ Sector Commander. It has been offered at least once a year, every year since 1997.
The Coast Guard selected the title "Columbia Basin Leadership Training" (COBALT) as the name and acronym for the program. The program is coordinated by the Columbia River Steamship Operators' Association (CRSOA) and presented by maritime industry leaders, state and local government agency representatives. Each presentation is a product of the agency/organization presenting and provides information that organization's leaders believe will be of benefit to the Coast Guard and our industry.
Sessions are designed to quickly acquaint executive and mid-level Federal decision makers with our maritime industry's issues, concerns, and priorities, and to encourage open dialogue with our region's private sector leaders and experts.
Agenda for the Week:
To view a DRAFT Missions Day and COBALT Agenda, click here.
Missions Day, Monday 8/22: Located in Astoria, Oregon
- Sector 101, Tour of Sector Columbia River
- Sector Boarding Team Presentation
- Tour of Cape Disappointment
- Tour of Aids to Navigation (Tongue Point)
COBALT Day 1, Tuesday 8/23:
- COBALT Overview and Columbia River Steamship Operators'
- A Day in the Life of an Agent
- Pacific Northwest Waterways Association
- Columbia River Towboat Association
- Columbia River Launch Service
- Port of Portland
- U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
COBALT Day 2, Wednesday 8/24:
- Port of Vancouver, Tour & Presentation
- United Grain, Tour & Presentation
- US Customs & Border Protection
- National Cargo Bureau
- Port of Columbia County
- NOAA’s Northwest River Forecast Center
COBALT Day 3, Thursday 8/25:
- Oregon Board of Maritime Pilots
- Columbia River Bar Pilots
- Columbia River Pilots
- Maritime Administration, U.S. Department of Transportation
- Lower Columbia Region Harbor Safety Committee
- Ballard Marine Construction
- Merchants Exchange of Portland
- Maritime Fire & Safety Association / FPAAC
- Fire Agencies Response Boats
COBALT Day 4, Friday 8/26:
- Clean Rivers Cooperative
- Oregon Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ)
- Washington Department of Ecology
- Washington Ports: Kalama, and Longview